Tuesday, March 12, 2013

First Meal: Cafe Soleil

Welcome to our first official El Sobrante restaurant visit!

We hit up Cafe Soleil on a Monday morning.  What better way to kick off the week?

Here's the scoop.

Vanessa:  The room is much more masculine than I imagined:  brick walls, metal chairs, and concrete floors.  Concrete floors make me sad for the service staff that has to walk over them all day.  I hope they've all invested in a nice pair of supportive shoes.

Service is gracious, friendly, and thoughtful.  I ordered a Spanish omelet, which comes with a filling of chicken or beef, and when I asked for a vegetarian version, the server suggested that I add avocado in place of the meat.  A small but savvy move on her part.

I ordered mint tea and was served two packets of Stash Moroccan mint green tea, a mug of hot water, and another small pitcher of hot water.  That does not go unappreciated by this avid tea drinker.

The three-egg omelet is massive.  I ditched the toast and asked for extra hash browns, and I ended up with the equivalent of about seven shredded potatoes on my plate.  This is not a complaint;  this is a gift from the potato gods.

I did not love the jarred-tasting salsa nor the fact that it (and the sour cream) came pre-portioned in little plastic cups, but the food was hearty and tasty and enough for two meals. 

The restaurant was full of regulars, which is always a nice thing to see.  There were a couple of groups of men who looked like life-long buddies, and there was a younger group of friends who chatted amiably behind us.  I always appreciate a welcoming neighborhood vibe.  And lots of potatoes and tea.


My omelet of considerable giganticness complete with slabs of hash browns. 





Chicken-fried steak with all the trimmings.

tonyB:  From the outside I thought this would be the typical white-walled cafe. Turns out the minute I opened the door, we came upon a large, open space with about 15 tables and counter seating.  Though not as intimate as a small diner, the darker interior motif felt comfortable.  As Dr. Phil played on the big screen (next to framed Certificates of Appreciation from the El Sobrante Boys and Girls Club), I got a real sense that this is THE place the locals come for grub. For a Monday morning, there was a steady stream of patrons.

[Vanessa: I sat facing another big screen on the opposite wall where the Wendy Williams show was on.  I know nothing about her except that her wardrobe people make absolutely no effort to play down her expansive chest. It was hard not to stare.]

I ordered the Chicken Fried Steak. Usually, for me, CFS really boils down to one thing: the gravy. I have to say that my CFS gravy was good-- in fact, pretty darn good. Dotted with little bits of ham, the gravy had an almost smoky taste-- maybe a bit salty though.  Over-easy eggs with sourdough toast accompanied the CFS and was pretty standard.  Coffee was a little weak, but refills were offered frequently.  The wait staff were awesome and attentive.

Overall, for my first restaurant breakfast in El Sob in some 30-odd years, I find the atmosphere and food of Cafe Soleil good enough to make me want to come back. Soon.

[Vanessa:  Soon, but not before we hit up all the other restaurants in town!]


Cafe Soleil is on top of its social media deals.







Considering the options on the lengthy menu.

4 comments:

  1. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! THAT LAST PICTURE IS FANFLIPPINGTASTIC!!!

    Oh, I love this so much. You guys are my heroes. And I love the eats at this place, too. And gifts from the potato gods.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it!! You make-a me so hungry for gravy and potatoes now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. how did you not run into someone from the mason clan there? also, i've always liked that place ever since stumbling in with a hungry toddler (lucy) years ago and having the server immediately plop a little bowl of raisins in front of her.

    ReplyDelete
  4. we eat there almost every time we're in brany-town for brekkie. it's kinda loud, but the food is solid.

    ReplyDelete